Today's Health Awareness Blog is entitled, "Is Slim Fast really safe for human consumption?"
I saw an ad for this product Slim Fast the other day and remembered 20 some years ago trying it myself. I remember it really didn't taste that good to me back then and after a week of drinking it, I found myself in the hospital. The doctors really didn't know what had happened to me and sent me home without a clue.
Needless to say, I stopped drinking this questionable weight loss drink.
I went on with life and recently decided when seeing this ad again to do a little research. And this is what I found:
Slim Fast Ingredients:
(You are not going to believe your eyes)
1. Fat Free Milk - okay . . . good so far.
2. Sugar - we all know how detrimental sugar is to a diet, and this is listed the second ingredient. Are we still talking about a DIET drink?
3. Cocoa (processed with Alkali) - chocolate, that sounds like a plus.
4. Canola Oil - Kris Gunnar of Authority Nutrition says in an article entitled, "Canola Oil: Good or bad?" that "Back in the day, an oil called rapeseed oil was often used for industrial purposes. It was cheap to produce, but people couldn't eat it because it contained some unfavorable substances.
Erucic acid: a fatty acid that caused heart damage in some rat studies.
Glucosinolates: bitter compounds that made the oil taste bad.
A bunch of Canadian scientists wanted to turn rapeseed oil into an edible oil, so they used selective breeding techniques to "create" seeds that contained less of these harmful, bitter substances.
This is how canola was born . . . but "canola" is just a marketing term. It stands for Candian OIL. (CANada Oil, Low Acid) CANOLA
Canola is actually not a unique plant. (In fact, it's not a plant created by nature at all.) It's just a name for rapeseed that have been bred to be low in these undesirable compounds. Since 1995, biotech giant MOSANTO has manufactured rapeseeds that are genetically engineered to be resistant to the herbicide ROUND-UP."
Shona Bote of Natural News said, " Canola is in fact a by-product of a highly toxic insecticide product. The real name of Canola oil is LEAR, or Low Erucic Acid Rape. This oil is in fact an industrial oil product which has no place whatsoever in our bodies. In light industry, it is also referred to as penetrating oil. Rapeseed oil is also the source for Mustard Gas, which was used as a chemical warfare agent, and was banned after World War I for causing severe blistering of the lungs and skin.
Like mercury and fluoride, Canola is also not eliminated from the body. Canola is in fact a Genetically Modified Food which has been classified as a bio pesticide by the EPA and is found in almost all fast foods, convenience foods, chocolate, candies, frozen French fries, rye breads, chocolate syrups, mayonnaise, granola bars, some vegetarian convenience foods, lunch meats, margarine, movie-house snacks, tortillas, and most of bakery foods.
Studies done on rats and other lab animals showed that after consuming Canola oil, there were fatty deposits that accumulated on their hearts, thyroids, adrenal glands, and kidneys. When they stopped consuming this oil, the fatty deposits disappeared, but unfortunately, scar tissue remained on the affected organs.
Rapeseed oil is an acetyl cholinesterase inhibitor. This compound is crucial when it comes to transmitting signals from nerves to the muscles. This is possibly why there has been a dramatic increase in cases of multiple sclerosis and cerebral palsy over the past few years. Other side effects which have been reported include respiratory illnesses, loss of vision, constipation, anemia, heart disease, irritability and low birth weight in infants. It is known to severely deplete vitamin E levels in the body, as well as cause clotting of red blood cells, which can pose a serious health risks."
Okay . . . so if you already haven't decided this product may not be safe to consume,
let's continue on with the ingredients.
5. Calcium Caseinate - is a protein found in skim milk.
6. Gum Arabic - is also used as a binder for watercolor paints and in incense
7. Cellulose Gel - we research cellulose in a previous blog and now know that cellulose is not harmful to the body ONLY if it is vegetable or plant based, which THIS IS NOT.
8. Hydrogenated soybean oil - Dr. Mercola says, "Hydrogenated oil is made by forcing hydorgen gas into the oil at high pressure. Virtually any oil can be hydrogenated. Margarine is a good example, in which nearly half of the fat content is trans fat. The process that creates partially hydrogenated oil alters the chemical composition of essential fatty acids, such as reducing or removing linoleic acid, a highly reactive triunsaturated fatty acid, transforming it into the far less reactive linoleic acid, thereby greatly preventing oxidative rancidity when used in cooking. This completely unnatural man-made fat created through the partial hydrogenation process causes dysfunction and chaos in your body on a cellular level, and studies have linked trans-fats to: Cancer, by interfering with enzymes your body uses to fight cancer; Chronic health problems such as OBESITY, asthma, auto-immune disease, cancer, and bone degeneration; Diabetes, by interfering with the insulin receptors in your cell membranes; Heart disease, by clogging your arteries (AMONG WOMEN WITH UNDERLYING CORONARY HEART DISEASE, EATING TRANS-FATS INCREASED THE RISK OF SUDDEN CARDIAC ARREST THREE-FOLD!); Decreased immune function, by reducing your immune response; Increased blood levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad" cholesterol, while lowering levels of high density lipoprotein HDL, or "good" cholesterol; Reproductive problems by interfering with enzymes needed to produce sex hormones; Interfering with your body's use of beneficial omega-3 fats."
Okay . . . again, I must ask the question, are we still talking about a weight loss drink?
Dr. Mercola just said that hydrogenated oil causes OBESITY!
9. Mono & Diglycerides - of fatty acids is a food additive used as an emulsifier. We spoke of this in a previous blog.
10. Potassium Phosphate - is used as an additive and side effects that may occur are: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness or headaches.
11. Soybean Lecithin - yet another food additive.
12. Cellulose gum - we spoke of cellulose earlier.
13. Carrageenan - Oh my gosh . . . something good for you. This is a substance extracted from red and purple seaweeds and used for a thickening agent.
14. Isolate Soy Protein - and the jury is still out on whether soy is okay to consume or not.
15. Artificial flavor - okay, we know artificial anything isn't good for us.
16. Maltodextrin - I've spoken a lot about this substitute for sugar and how dangerous it is for the body in my books and in blogs.
17. Sucralose - Another sugar substitute that is even more dangerous than aspartame.
18. Acesulfame Potassium - and yet another questionalble sugar substitute.
19. Sodium Citrate - can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain.
20. Citric Acid - is a sharp-tasting crystalline acid present in the juice of lemons and other sour fruits. It is made commercially by the fermentation of sugar and used as a flavoring and setting agent.
21.Magnesium phosphate - Phosphate salts containing sodium potassium, aluminum, or calcium are likely safe for most people when taken by mouth SHORT TERM. WebMD said, "it is possibly UNSAFE when taken in amounts higher than 4 grams per day for adults younger than 70 years of age and 3 grams per day for people who are older."
22. Calcium phosphate - commented above.
23. Sodium Acorbate - is the sodium salt of acetic acid and is the primary flavoring in salt and vinegar potato chips.
24. Vitamin E Acetate - is a common vitamin supplement and is often used in dermatological products such as skin creams.
25. Zinc Gluconate - is the zinc salt of gluconic acid. It's a popular form for the delivery of zinc as a diet supplement. Okay . . . well that didn't sound too bad, but it's sad that something okay for you had to be number 25 on the ingredients list.
26. Ferric orthophosphate - this is used in foods where stability is an important consideration. Certain iron compounds adversely affect color, odor and taste of some food products. Rancidity may be caused or accelerated by ferrous sulfate.
27. Niacinamide - oh my gosh . . . something good for you. This is Vitamin B3
28. Calcium Pantothenate - something else good for you. This is Vitamin B5. Too bad they are at the bottom of the list and not of great importance to this product.
29. Manganese Sulfate - is used for weak bones, anemia and PMS. Okay . . . now we're on a roll, bring on the good stuff.
30. Vitamin A Palmitate - Good
31. Pyridoxine hydrochloride - this is vitamin B6
32. Riboflavin - is vitamin B2
33. Thaimin Mononitrate - is vitamin B1
34. Folic Acid - we all know that's good for us.
35. Chromium chloride - is a trace metal found in some foods.
36. Biotin - a vitamin B complex found in egg yolk, liver and yeast.
37. Sodium molydate - good source of molybdenum. I talk a lot about this in my books. W
38. Potassium iodide - is a K1 white salt
39. Phylloquinone - is vitamin K1
40. Sodium selenite - is an inorganic salt compound.
41. Cyanocobalamin - is vitamin B12.
42. Cholecalceferol - is also a vitamin B12.
43. And Finally - Sweetened with a Nutritive and non-Nutritive sweeteners. Okay . . . so what the heck are these sweeteners? NUTRITIVE AND NON-NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS ENHANCE THE FLAVOR AND/OR TEXTURE OF FOOD. Nutritive sweeteners provide the body with calories, while non-nutritive sweeteners are very low in calories or contain no calories at all. They can both be added to food and beverages. The American Heart Association labels low-calorie sweeteners, artificial sweeteners, and non-caloric sweeteners as non-nutritive. NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS - sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols are a type of carbohydrate called "polyols" which are used as alternative food sweeteners to natural sugars. In my opinion, adding carbohydrate to a weight loss supplement seems kind of detrimental to the cause.
in this little can,
what's wrong with this picture?
Now I know why I ended up in the hospital years ago for an unknown stomachache!
So my personal opinion is this:
It's pretty devastating that is took 26 bad for your health ingredients before we finally found something good for the body in this product.